A volunteer gig off the beaten path
CBSAR is always looking for community-spirited volunteers to join our growing family. New member intakes are performed twice per year (usually spring and fall) but applications for membership are accepted and pooled year-round. While we prefer that applicants have some level of outdoor experience, this is not necessary as full training will be provided.
How does it all work?
Upon receiving your application, you will be contacted by someone from our Membership Committee who will guide you through the rest of the application process. As soon as this [painless] process is complete, applicants will be granted provisional membership and considered a Member in Training (MIT). Out of the gate, MITs will be able participate in all major GSAR functions while they complete their necessary training. After one (1) year–and on the provision that all required training has been completed–MITs graduate to full membership and as such, are granted voting rights and become eligible for volunteer SAR license plates.
Ready to join the family?
Before you continue, please take a moment to review our FAQ to ensure that GSAR is a good fit for you. Afterward, read the requirements for membership and complete the Membership Application found at the bottom of this page.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must have a valid class 5 drivers license
- Must have access to reliable transportation 24 hours a day
- Must have a valid First-aid certificate
- Must be physically fit; able to lift 50 lbs and hike long distances over uneven terrain
- Must own basic equipment: Compass, strong knife, sturdy waterproof boots, clothes suitable for climate and backpack
- Must have ability to complete all required training
- Must be of good moral character
Benefits of Membership
- Opportunity to serve your community in a way most can’t
- Invaluable training that will last a lifetime
- A chance to explore some of the farthest reaching areas of Cape Breton (and beyond)
- $3,000 annual federal income tax credit*
- $500 annual provincial income tax rebate*
- 10% discount on all search-related equipment purchases from MEC®*
- Free volunteer license plates*
For more information on membership with CBSAR, please contact us
* Conditions apply. To qualify, members must be in good standing by maintaining a minimum commitment of two hundred (200) hours of service per year (searches, training, meetings, fundraising, etc).